Acrylic Workshop Materials and Equipment
* PALETTE: 11” x 15” white Chinese butcher tray OR a Masterson's sta-wet palette
OR a metal cookie sheet OR a large flat plastic container with lid.
* One package Masterson’s Sta-wet Pro Palette Papers 10”x 14” !!!!
* PAPER TOWELS: (shop towels are my preferred brand)
* Water container (a plastic peanut butter tub with a handle and a lid works great)
* Sketch book and sketch supplies
Acrylics can be used on any of these surfaces.
Choose from: Canvas, Watercolor Paper coated with gesso, Watercolor Board, Multimedia
Art Board, Masonite, Ampersand Gesso Boards, Canvas Board, Wood Panels,
* Make sure the painting surface is prepared with acrylic gesso.
(Support size should be 16" x 20" or smaller at first... Larger if you are more
ALSO bring small 8 x 10 or smaller gessoed watercolor papers or canvas for practice
(heavy body, high quality, professional grade)
1. Titanium White (cool opaque white) large tube
2. Diarilyde Yellow or Cadmium Yellow Deep (warm deep yellow)
3. Yellow Oxide (opaque warm earthtone yellow)
4. Primary Yellow, Or Hansa Yellow Light (Light Bright Clear Yellow)
5. Organic Vermillion or Napthal Red Lt. (both are warm light reds)
6. Quinacridone Magenta (cool deep red)
7. Quinacridone Burnt Orange (Golden Brand)(transparent warm earthtone orange-
for underpainting and making rich warm darks, browns and convincing greens)
8. Cerulean Blue Chromium Hue(neutral blue for grays and cool shadows)
9 Ultramarine Blue (cool purpley blue)
10. Phthalo Blue (GS) (greenish blue transparent warm )
Quinacridone Gold (transparent warm- earthtone yellow, great for washes, underpainting
Dioxazine Purple (a great color for creating rich deep browns and blacks)
Acrylic Fiber Brushes
* Bring a large assortment of edges and sizes.
My personal preference is flats and brights ¼” -1 ½” (“Snap” brand brushes
by Princeton are a great value and hold up to acrylics very well)
* DO NOT bring hog bristle brushes as they do not react well in water and are
too stiff for acrylic paint.
* One small detail or signature brush
* One inexpensive 3" hardware store house painting brush (for gesso textures)